Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Take my word for it.... Never, EVER MERGE!

Last year around this time... or maybe it was June... anyway, our CEO announced plans to merge our system with another local system. At the time, we really didn't know what it would all entail.

A yearish later, we've closed the other "downtown" location, combining services or moving them to other facilities. I have weathered the RiF's (reduction in force). I now have an additional 14 beds to be covered with an addition of 30 staff members. We have tripled our open heart cases and now have patients flying in from outlying community hospitals like we are some kind of tertiary center. I think our total bed count is 400-something.

Plans are to build a brand, spankin' new hospital within the next three to five years if financial goals are made.... And, financial goals will be made.

I have been on cost reduction teams where we have evaluated everything from the type of pillow we use to how we order batteries.

Let me tell you, it's the pits.

But, the thing that I think is getting me down is the extra work from the added staff members. It's more phone calls. "Can I be off this day if I work that day?" "I can't see incentives in BidShift, but I know I have picked up all of my hours." "I think my paycheck is wrong... again." "Can I not meet my requirements of my FTE?"

It goes on and on. And, on. It's not that I don't care or want to help staff, but it does not stop.

On top of that is all of the "manager" crap.

Quality, Case Management, Medication Safety, RFI's, Capitol Budget, Learning Center, Payroll, HR... on and on. And, on.

I need help.

or I need a different job.

I dunno.

I do know... I liked my job before the merger. I liked the size of my units and number of staff members. The workload was big, but somewhat manageable. Now... I just want to hide under my desk and not think about how I am supposed to come up with four heart beds when all of my units are full.

3 comments:

LicensedToILL said...

Hey Boss Lady!

Your blog rocks! It really is helpfull to read about the other side. Bridge the gap. I feel like I'm learning a lot by reading your very interesting entries.

Seeing how I just started a new job and have promised myself that I won't alienate myself from my managers, perhaps you could give an opinionated loud mouth but hard working R.N. some tips on how to stay out of trouble. (I think I already answered my own issues right there).
But one thing I want to ask you- I get really nervous around my managers, cuz I want them to like me, I want good reviews, I desperately want to joke around with them to loosen myself up. Do you see comedy as disrespect (appropriate comedy). I'm serious. Is it bad to joke around with your managers. Like when I see one of them coming I say something like, "Finally, you're here to give me my raise. And I've only been working here two weeks!"
Some managers notice your hard work, others have to LIKE you in order to give a good review.

Sorry. Long comment. But your thoughts puhleeze!

Denice said...

Hmmm... I guess it really depends on the person. I joke around and kid with a lot of my staff. But, usually I have gotten to know them first or have worked with them for a long time.

Really what every manager wants, or the ones I know do, is for you to do your "job". Come in on time, take care of the patients and leave on time. Unfortunately, it is not always that easy.

LicensedToILL said...

Definitely and foremost, rule number one: Do your job and do it well.

I agree. Fortunately I'm not one of the show up late types so that's never an issue.

I suppose it does depend on the individual manager, how serious they take themselves.
So, from your advice, I'll focus on the job, not on the jokes.
Thanks!